Please remember that any photos, images or text on this blog remain my property, but if you wish to use any that you see, feel free to contact me for permission. Thank you for respecting my request and enjoy your visit.......Joy

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Postcard Exhibition at The Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne

Last week my friend Jenni and myself visited the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne.  Jenni had discovered there was a Textile Postcard Exhibition held in the Visitor's Centre to commemorate the 100 years of the Gallipoli landing (Anzac Day 25 April 1916).

Textile Artists were invited to contribute a postcard within certain guidelines for this small exhibition.  You can find out more about the guidelines and the exhibition here in the link. It is well worth reading more about it.

In the meantime here are some of the cards we saw - there were 400 postcards submitted and they are displayed in two cabinets in the Visitor's Centre.  Not all are on display at the same time - the curators change the display every 5 weeks.  Consequently there are more than these few here.



Unfortunately, because they were displayed in a cabinet with glass top and the lighting was not conducive to taking photos they haven't turned out as well as I expected.

Also you can see the downlights in the roof reflecting on the glass.  Nothing one can do about that.

But I hope it gives you an idea of the content of the exhibition.

 We plan to go back in a couple of weeks when they have changed the display.

I found it quite poignant knowing some of the cards were obviously made in memory of a loved one lost.

Thank you Jenni for suggesting we see this.


3 comments:

jacaranda said...

Enjoyed the exhibition Joy, It was quite emotional viewing them and for what they stood for. Looking forward to the next round of postcards.

Linda Steele said...

I didn't know about this exhibition. I'll be in the city next Saturday and I'll have a look at it. Great to have some textile work exhibited. Thanks for letting us know.

Jeann of Melton said...

Thank you for the photos, Joy. I know I will not get there to see the postcards.